Random Effects for Modeling sites in R-Presence

posts related to the RPresence library, which may not be of general interest to users of 'classic' PRESENCE.

Random Effects for Modeling sites in R-Presence

Postby Suarez_B » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:06 pm

Aloha,

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I am having difficulties trying to find random effects in RPresence, I see that Program Mark is capable but I am not finding such a thing in the RPresence package. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Suarez_B

Re: Random Effects for Modeling sites in R-Presence

Postby cooch » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:00 pm

I believe that this is still the case. Or, you could go all in and code everything up in JAGS or Stan, and do it full-on Bayesian.
cooch

Postby Suarez_B » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:33 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply! Unfortunately, I am not up to speed in JAGS and doing my own coding at this point. I am a foundling to occupancy and population studies but quick to learn, I will definitely take a look at both of those! Thank you again
Suarez_B

Postby cooch » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 am

So, given that, is there a particular reason you're not using MARK, which (as noted) does what you want?
cooch

Postby Suarez_B » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:10 pm

I used R-Presence for a report I did late last year looking at a number of tropical reef fishes so I am familiar with that program and how it works in R. I am actually looking at Package Unmarked as a solution as it does random effects as well, but I am interested in looking at the same data set using a zero-inflated negative binomial model using actual count data seeing that the data set I am working with violates a whole lot of assumptions. As I said I am relatively new to this in general.
Suarez_B

Postby cooch » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:50 am

Suarez_B wrote:I used R-Presence for a report I did late last year looking at a number of tropical reef fishes so I am familiar with that program and how it works in R. I am actually looking at Package Unmarked as a solution as it does random effects as well, but I am interested in looking at the same data set using a zero-inflated negative binomial model using actual count data seeing that the data set I am working with violates a whole lot of assumptions. As I said I am relatively new to this in general.

Fair enough -- I was simply curious. unmarked has pretty strong capabilities, although there is a fair learning curve (IMO). But, their Google group offers excellent support.

Best of luck!
cooch

Return to RPresence