ERROR -- Not enough group counts...

announcements (new versions, changes, bugs, installation problems...) related to program MARK

ERROR -- Not enough group counts...

Postby mnabdul » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Hey there,

I've been getting this error whenever I try to run my models. I have 4 encounters and changed when creating a new file and it comes out with this error when I run the full model.

INPUT --- proc title T;
Time in seconds for last procedure was 0.02
INPUT --- proc chmatrix occasions=4 groups=1 etype=Live mixtures=2
INPUT --- NoHist hist=300;
INPUT --- glabel(1)=Group 1;
INPUT --- time interval 1 1 1;
ERROR -- Not enough group counts specified on the encounter history.

Can anyone help me?

thanks.
mnabdul

Postby hpdutra » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Read chapter 2, most likely is something simple!
hpdutra

Re: ERROR -- Not enough group counts...

Postby raluca » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 am

Hi,

I am a new user. Could you please tell me, did you solve the problem. I get the same error message and I don't know what to do. Thank you,

Best,

Raluca.
raluca

Postby prldb » Thu May 31, 2012 2:31 pm

I have also encoutered this error message. Searches in the MARK book have not yielded any hits. I first took the error message to imply that the group data was incorrectly entered in the inp file but various checks revealed no errors. Does the error message mean that there is insufficient data to support the specified groups for the analysis? i.e., that the data is too sparse for the specified groups? Can anyone confirm this is the intended meaning of this error?
prldb

Postby egc » Thu May 31, 2012 2:44 pm

prldb wrote:I have also encoutered this error message. Searches in the MARK book have not yielded any hits. I first took the error message to imply that the group data was incorrectly entered in the inp file but various checks revealed no errors. Does the error message mean that there is insufficient data to support the specified groups for the analysis? i.e., that the data is too sparse for the specified groups? Can anyone confirm this is the intended meaning of this error?

Two points:

1\ this has nothing to do with 'analysis', per se, so I'm moving it to the 'software problems' subcategory.

2\ MARK has no error messages that 'pass judgement' on sufficiency (or not) of your data (although I've suggested to Gary that it would be 'fun', if not useful, to introduce some). The error message you report reflects either (1) problem with your input file, (2) problem with how you're specifying groups in the setup, or (3) an interaction of (1) and (2). About all you can do is post a snippet of your .inp file (not the whole thing), and perhaps some obvious problem will emerge. It isn't discussed in the book because - quite simply - if you're input file is correct, and you setup the problem correctly, you'll never see this error message.
egc
Site Admin

Postby Mateo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:21 pm

It has been 10 years since the last comment, but I thought I would add a comment in case it helps someone.

As egc said, either there is an error in the inp file, or in specifying groups on the setup page.

Example 1: My colleague had 4 groups and coded group 1 (incorrectly) as
[detection history] 1000;
The lack of spaces between groups generated the "not enough group counts" error. The 4 groups should be coded as
[detection history] 1 0 0 0;

Example 2: I decided to treat my 3 study sites as covariates. I coded site one (correctly) as
[detection history] 1 1 0 0;
This should be entered into the setup page as 1 group and 3 covariates. BUT then I changed my mind and decided I wanted to treat my 3 study sites as groups. I told the setup page I had 3 groups and 0 covariates, but I forgot to change the inp file. This mismatch (4 columns in the inp and 3 columns in the setup page) generated the "not enough group counts" error. I fixed the error when I changed the inp file to represent 3 groups and 0 covariates:
[detection history] 1 0 0;

I hope that helps. Basically, read Chapter 2, examine your inp file and make sure that it conforms to chapter 2 (Example 1 did not) and then make sure the information on the setup page matches the inp file (Example 2 did not).
Mateo

Return to software problems/news